Saturday, April 29, 2006

Learn English

If I decided to emigrate to France, the first thing I'd do is learn French. Hell, I'd learn it before I went or enough to get by doing basic things to start at least. In the United States we speak English. If you come here and intend to live here, learn English. The whole "melting-pot" concept that has been integral to the American success story is based on a common language - English. Keep those things that are important to your cultural identity, wherever you come from. Go to a church that fits your beliefs (or speaks your native language). But, when we're at a PTA meeting together, you and I have to be able to communicate. Period. So immigrants, if you want to be successful here (and I want you to be), buy into the melting-pot and learn English. Don't aggregate into insulated communities. The idea of children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish is ridiculous. It goes against the melting-pot.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home